The Passage of Time
 I often look back at my life between 13 and 18, and wonder why I was so impatient for the years to 
keep moving.  Time, it seemed, just crawled at a snails pace and I wanted it to go faster, to leap out of 
the morass of school and into the big world of grown ups. They didn’t have homework, curfews, 
freckles, report cards that your parents went over with a fine tooth comb. There were no chores to do,
 beds to make. They got to drive alone, instead of being taken everywhere by their parents. They didn’t 
get dragged to all of the boring family affairs if they didn’t want to go. All I wanted was time to move.
     Now it has, faster and faster with each new month and year. Yesterday I was a 20 something just 
getting married; today I’m a grandmother and facing the end of time, instead of the beginning. 
Nothing went as I thought it would, but then things I never thought or dreamed about came along 
and surprised me. I was given chances to do things, go places, and contribute in ways I never realized 
were possible.
     I met eclectic people doing cutting edge work in medicine; I got to see brain surgery up close and 
marveled at the grey glob that is the seat of our intelligence. I flew a friends Cessna from Santa Monica
 airport to Oxnard just for Brunch, of course my friend had his hands on the other yoke in case I was 
about to take a header. (I actually took flying lessons when I was in the Navy stationed in Boston, 
however, after 30 hours, my flight instructor determined my ability to take off and fly were excellent, 
but when it came to landings, I had the potential to be a disaster in the making). I never trumped my 
own ace in Bridge, I saw the great Sandy Kofax pitch two no hitter perfect games at Dodger Stadium 
and I will never forget those 11 seasons that I was there to see the UCLA basketball team do what no 
other NCAA college team has or will do, win those Championships.
     What all this boils down to, for me at least, is that trying to hurry life is a waste of time. 
You have to savor all the years, to take in each, and every season, because from childhood to 
adulthood, to those Golden Years, is really the blink of an eye.
 

~Judi Rosen~

 
Copyright@June2010Judi.Rosen
 

© Copyright, 2010 Main Street Magazine/Rain Enterprises

As seen in the June Issue of Main Street Magazine.

Printed in Canada, ISSN: 1920-4299 by Rain Enterprises

To find out how to receive your free copy of MSM check out

www.mainstreetmagazine.net